Triggering the APC 24

Triggering the APC 24

Postby azirithdorr » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:57 pm

Hello,

I'm working on learning the 24 again and was wondering if you could briefly explain how to wire a trigger to the microcontroller - let's say a step-mat. The trigger includes C, 1, 2, 3, and 4, but I'm afraid I don't really understand 'pulling down to ground' vs. triggering with a positive charge.

I'm assuming that triggering via a positive charge would mean that the mat would be completing an electrical connection when stepped on - in that case, is the power being drawn from the controller? Is it possible to describe the wiring for a mat if the mat simply has a red and black wire coming out of it?

Would it also be possible to describe what 'pulling down to ground is'?

Finally, when you describe 3 and 4 as undefined - what does that mean please? I've found examples with google, but they seem to be related to computer ports, and I want to make sure I don't fry something :>

Thank you very much for any answers you can provide,

Kevin Smith
azirithdorr

Re: Triggering the APC 24

Postby Pete Rondeau » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:27 pm

Kevin,

The controller can work with any polarity trigger device.
Some triggers work by supply +v when triggered.
Other triggers supply the -, negative or ground (depends on the terminology used by the company supplying the trigger device).
Finally, some triggers are just a contact closure and do not supply any voltage, they are just completing a circuit. With this type of trigger, we need to wire in a voltage source somewhere so the contact closure has something to switch.

With just 2 wires, it sounds like your switch mat example would be a contact closure, you could:
Connect the red switch mat wire to the positive terminal of your power supply (or any of the + terminals on the controller)
Connect the black wire from the switch mat to trigger terminal 1 or 2.
connect a jumper wire from the C terminal to the - terminal on your power supply.

Pulling down to ground refers to a trigger that is supply the "-" side when triggered. These are also sometimes called NPN, or "sinking" outputs.

Inputs 3 & 4 being undefined simply means nothing happens when you send a trigger in on those inputs. They have no function with the original firmware. As time has gone on, users have requested special features and we have issued them custom firmware on a case by case basis depending on their requirements. Current APC24 controllers ship with a quad show option where, if enabled, triggers 1 through 4 will trigger shows 1 through 4

Pete
Pete Rondeau
Site Admin

Postby azirithdorr » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:46 pm

Thanks Pete - that helps out alot.

Just to confirm: running a jumper from triggerC to power- is also required in, in this case, for the APC 24 unit?
azirithdorr

Postby Pete Rondeau » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:27 pm

Kevin,

The C terminal needs to be attached to something. In the example I told you to connect it to the "-" terminal on the power supply.

But because the inputs are bipolar you could also reverse everything I said.

so.... it would also work if you connected the + terminal to the C terminal, then hooked one wire from the switch mat to the - terminal and the other wire to the #1 trigger.

Another way to think about all this: There are LEDs connected between the C terminal (this terminal is "C"ommon to all the LEDs) and each of the 1 through 4 terminals. To trigger, you need to light an LED up.
So, we need to get voltage in there. and, again, since the triggers are bipolar, the polarity of the power going in across the C and trigger is not important.
Pete Rondeau
Site Admin

Postby azirithdorr » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:22 pm

OK - got it - that makes sense - thanks for triggers 101 :D
azirithdorr

Postby Pete Rondeau » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:25 am

Not a problem, that's what I'm here for.
Good luck with your project.

Pete
Pete Rondeau
Site Admin

Postby azirithdorr » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:40 pm

Hi again Pete,

Just to continue on the education end, I wanted to touch base with you concerning another type of trigger: the PIR sensor.

I have several PIR sensors ( such as http://www.ebay.ca/itm/321379861546?ssP ... 1497.l2649 ). These have an 'IN" bank of V- and V+ and an 'OUT" bank of V+ and V-.

Just to check to make sure I'm on the right track, I would want to use the 'IN' bank as the power to the PIR, which I can draw off the APC24 since it's 12-14VDC required? To power the PIR, I would wire:

the IN V- to the POWER - on the 24
the IN V+ to the POWER + on the 24

Then I would run a jumper from APC POWER + to the APC Trigger C

Then for the trigger itself I would wire:

the OUT V- to the TRIGGER 1 ( or 2 )
the OUT V+ to the TRIGGER C

Does that sound right to you?
azirithdorr

Postby Pete Rondeau » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:26 am

If I'm reading the description correctly, I don't think you need the jumper from the APC power + to the trigger C terminal.

I think this sensor puts out voltage at the out v- & v+ terminals, if that is the case you could just wire them to trigger 1 (or 2) and the C terminal like you mentioned. (everything as you mentioned, just no jumper)

Pete
Pete Rondeau
Site Admin

Postby azirithdorr » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:29 pm

Thanks Pete - as always, concise, fast and accurate - you have the -best- product after service :D
azirithdorr

Return to APC24